” A marvelous blend of Indian and European Architecture.”India Gate, an important monument of the city New Delhi (Capital of INDIA), is a memorial built in commemoration of more than 80,000 Indian soldiers who were killed during World War I.
The monument is an imposing 42 meters high arch, and it’s
Architectural Style: Triumphal Arch
Why was it Built: Memorial to Undivided Indian …
Construction Started: 10 February, 1921
Designer: Sir Edwin Lutyens
The other Architecture which includes Triumphal Arch are:
- The Arch of Constantine, Rome
- The Arc de Triomphe, Paris
- The Gateway Of India Mumbai.
The entire arch stands on a low base of red Bharatpur stone and rises in stages to a huge moulding, Amar Jawan Jyoti, which was added after independence, is an eternal Jyoti which was illuminated in memory of the unknown soldiers who laid down their lives to serve this country.
A structure consisting of a black marble plinth with a reversed rifle, capped by a war helmet and bounded by four eternal flames, was erected under the archway.
The monument is open all day on all days of the week.
However, the best time to visit India Gate is between 07:00 PM and 09:30 PM as it is the timings for the light show at India Gate.
There is no such entry fee.
Rajpath, India Gate, New Delhi, Delhi 110001 Nearest Metro Station: Central Secretariat Direction: https://goo.gl/maps/n6zpgLY161bx3Ycg8
Every Season is Best to visit this Place. If you want to visit in morning then suggested season is Winter. Otherwise summer is also good to visit in night.
How to reach
- Metro: The distance between India Gate and Central Secretariat Metro Station is only 2.5 KM and cab be reached by Auto. It takes nearly 10 minute to reach there from Metro.
- Own vehicle: Find the Direction via clicking on below link.
To Do at India Gate
- Picnic Spot: You can enjoy there with your family and friends.
Visit it in winter after-noon so when weather is cold, you have a warm heart.
- Rajpath "King's Way": Rajpath is a formal pathway. Which witnessed parade of Indian republic day.Which takes place on 26 January every year.The route is covered with gardens which are full of greenery.
You alone can enjoy the peace in early morning .
- Take a boat ride.
- Watch the sunset and sunrise.
- Go kite flying.